Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis

Title: The Thin Place
Author: Kathryn Davis
Genre: Magical Realism
Publisher: Back Bay Books
Published: 2007
Pages: 304

Rating: 4 out of 10

Every once in awhile, I try to pick out random books that I would not normally read. Sometimes they turn out to be quite a pleasant surprise, other times... not so much.
I would definitely have to say that The Thin Place would fall into the latter category.

It was a jumbled, disorderly rant of scattered mess. I often felt that I was trying in vain to put together a puzzle while reading this one. Davis seemed to take nothing seriously - a cat coming home to some cream seemed to be just as important and focused upon as someone being raised from the dead. I thought that there were too many characters - and none of them did I ever come to understand. I thought that the little girl who could raise people (and animals) from the dead sounded interesting, but right from the first scene, she proves just as lifeless as all the others. Sometimes I could almost get a sense of what I think the author was trying to achieve - a hazy, quirky whimsical aura.

This book is unique, that's for sure. I would not go so far as to say that is badly written, but I can say for sure that it was not my type of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment