Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: Love Respelt by Robert Graves

Title: Love Respelt
Author: Robert Graves
Genre: Poetry
Publisher: Doubleday
Published: 1966

Rating: 7 out of 10

Robert Graves wrote one of my favorite books of all time, "I, Claudius," so I began reading this slim little poetry volume of his as soon as I discovered it at a library sale.

Most of the pieces are concise and beautiful. No poem took up more than a single page, and a few particularly sparse entries were only four or five lines. As the title suggests, all of them focus, either obviously or in veiled allegorical prose, on the theme of love.

My favorite poems were "The Snap-Comb Wilderness," which delicately describes the beauty of a woman's hair; "Black," a very short but eloquent poem with a dark undertone, and "Nothing Now Astonishes," which read so lyrically, I just had to read it aloud a couple of times.A gem of a find.

No comments:

Post a Comment