Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review: Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons

Title: Diving Women
Author: Kaye Gibbons
Genre: Historical Fiction / Drama
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: 2005
Pages: 240

Rating: 4 out of 10

In this tale of marriage gone very wrong, a girl inspires in her tragic aunt the courage and motivation to challenge and eventually leave her abusive husband, despite the fact that she is pregnant with their first child.

I wanted to like this book, because the sensitive topic of abused women and hurtful relationships was quite realistic. I felt sympathetic for Maureen, the wife.
However, I always felt estranged from the people in this story, and their feelings, despite the tender topics introduced. The book was unfocused and at most times, dull and boring. Many of the things the author went on for chapters about seemed trivial, while bigger and more important events did not get so much attention.

The influenza epidemic, which was supposed to have a large role to play, never really came to anything. It certainly fell short of being any memorable aspect of the book.

The only portions of this book that made me feel anything except boredom were the rare little moments between Maureen and her spiteful husband, Troop. The abused wife and the abusing husband were two roles that the author knew how to write, and for that I am giving it four stars out of ten instead of three.

However, I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy it, and I will be getting rid of it. A disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment